Age spots mostly appear in areas consistently exposed to sunlight (the face and backs of hands, for example), although they also are occasionally found on less exposed areas. Ultraviolet (UV) light accelerates the production of melanin. Melanin is the dark pigment in the epidermis that gives your skin its normal color. The extra melanin is produced to protect the deeper layers of your skin—creates the darker color of a tan.
Age spots are harmless. Age spots range from freckle-size to more than a centimeter across and can group together, making them more prominent. Often, age spots are accompanied by other signs of sun damage. Symptom is a skin lesion that is a painless, flat patch or macule (area of skin color change). Liver spots are the result of a "ceroid" pigment build up in the skin of older people. These latter spots are the outward signs of free radical destruction within the body. There is pre-oxidation of fats—in the cells instead of in the liver. Free radical damage produces waste materials in cells throughout the body, including the brain and liver. Liver spots do not become cancerous.
What causes age spots?
When you are exposed more to the sun your skin produces cells called melanocytes. These cells produce a dark brown pigment called melanin, because of which your skin turns darker. When you are overexposed to sunlight, the melanocytes will be produced in a higher extent. This causes in the appearance of brown, black or gray spots on your skin, which are popular as age spots. These age spots appear on every body area exposed to the skin, and they are more on your face as it is more exposed to sun than any other part.
Home Remedies to Treat Brown Spots:
- Keep in mind that these brown spots, thought to be caused by sun damage or a nutrition deficiency, took years to form. A variation of this remedy is to rub on castor oil and take the vitamin E orally.
- Lemon juice is a tried and tested remedy for treating freckles. Apply lemon juice with your fingers on the affected area; lemon juice bleaches the dark spots.
- To remove freckles. Blanch and grind two almonds, mix it with white of an egg and half teaspoon of lime juice. Spread the mixture on the face and leave it on till the skin feels dry. Then, wash off first with warm water and then with cold water.
- Another home remedy for facial brown spots is to make a paste of different plants cobinations and apply it to your face. Grind about 100 grams of dried basil leaf, neem leaf (from the tree the Indians call "Nature's Drugstore) and mint; add some turmeric powder. Put in enough rose water to make a paste. Apply this to the age spots on the face. Also , a paste of saffron and honey can also help remove dark spots.
- Buttermilk Dab buttermilk on the spots. The lactic acid and other ingredients in the milk are beneficial to the skin. Buttermilk has been used for generations as a skin cleanser and as a beauty aid.