Thyroid is a small gland located in our neck. The main purpose of this gland is to produce hormones to run our metabolism properly. As metabolism is one of the most important functions of our body; it can trigger a host of disorders if it slows down or malfunctions.
There are two most common forms of thyroid diseases; hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. Your thyroid can be overactive or underactive depending upon the reason of the disorder. The major cause of hypothyroidism is inflammation of the gland. Once your thyroid is inflamed; it stops producing sufficient amount of hormone. The insufficient production of essential hormones triggers various diseases like excessive weight gain, insomnia, depression etc.
You can easily get rid of thyroid problems if you start taking care of your diet. You must start taking iodine rich diet as soon as you notice thyroid disease symptoms. Following are some natural treatment of thyroid diseases.
- Though iodized salt is the most common form of salt available in the market, make sure that the salt you eat has enough iodine in it. If you notice symptoms of thyroid problems; start taking iodine rich diets.
- Stop excessive smoking or alcoholism if you are suffering from hypothyroidism.
- Eat a balanced diet with ample quantities of Vitamin A, B, C and E.
- Broccoli, spinach, peanuts and soybeans are known to suppress thyroid functions therefore you must avoid these foods if you are suffering from thyroid problems.
- Vitamin D is essential for proper function of thyroid therefore make sure that you get enough exposure to sunlight. You may also try vitamin D supplements if you wish.
- If you are on some kind of medication that contains Lithium; you must stop using them after consultation with your physician.