The name of this disease may resemble that of a worm, but Ringworm is not a worm related disease. Rather, this term is used to refer to a skin condition caused by fungal infection. It leads to the formation of a ring-like pattern on the affected area. Skin infections like ringworm, athlete’s foot, jock itch etc are collectively placed in a category called Tinea.
Ringworm of scalp is referred to as Tinea Capitis in medical terminology. Similarly, Tinea Pedis refers to Ringworm of the feet and Tinea Corporis refers to Ringworm of the body. This common infectious disease generally goes away on its own within four weeks without any specific treatment.
Still, the affected individual can choose a natural remedy from a variety of natural home remedies for Ringworm to heal this embarrassing problem as soon as possible.
Yeasts, molds, fungi and other such microorganism that cause skin infections are collectively known as dermatophytes. Warm and humid environment is a typical prerequisite for the growth of such dermatophytes that cause this irritating infectious disease.
They are usually found on the outer layer of the skin and feed on keratin, a protein found on the surface of dead skin, especially on skin, nails and hair. Maintenance of adequate hygiene plays an important role in the curing as well as preventing Ringworm.
Dog Scratching The Ringworm Infected Area
Causes and Symptoms of Ringworm
Ringworm is a highly contagious disease. Hence, it can spread through direct contact with an affected individual, even animals. Contaminated objects like gym mats, shower stalls, bed linens, combs, brushes, etc may also spread the infection. The microorganisms causing Ringworm on nails and feet are generally found inhuman only. Individual who tend to sweat heavily are more at risk of suffering from Ringworm.
Besides, a weak immune system that fails to fight off infections and inhibit the growth of dermatophytes can be held responsible for the development of this ailment. Often, the immune system is rendered weak because of diseases like Diabetes, Leukemia, AIDS, and other such serious diseases.
The disease is characterized by red, itchy, scaly rashes with sharp and distinct edges or border. They may also be accompanied by blisters or scabs. Ringworm of the nails makes them brittle, discolored and thicker. Ringworm of the foot, also known as Athlete’s Foot, results in scaling and cracking of the skin between the toes. Ringworm of the scalp may lead to bald patches.
Natural Home Remedies for Ringworm
- Applying juice extracted from holy basil leaves on the affected area is regarded as one of the best natural home remedies for Ringworm treatment. This herb is useful in getting rid of infections. Similarly, margosa leaves can be used internally as well as externally to deal with the infection and reduce skin irritation.
- Simply rubbing papaya slices over the affected area helps cure the scaly patches caused by this disease. Alternatively, a paste prepared from the powder of dried papaya seeds is another valuable natural remdy.
- Take some raw juice of turmeric and apply it on the Ringworm. Besides, orally consuming a mixture of one teaspoon of this juice mixed with one teaspoon of honey is on of the most trusted natural home remedies for Ringworm.
- Application of a light mudpack for about half an hour, two times in a day is highly beneficial in the treatment of Ringworm.
- A paste prepared from cassia leaves serves as one of the most therapeutic home remedies for Ringworm.
- Applying tea tree oil on the affected area for at least one week is sure to give encouraging results while dealing with Ringworm. Rosemary oil is also considered a good home remedy for this ailment.
- Prepare a thick paste by mixing crushed mustard seeds and warm water. Apply this paste on the skin and then wash it off with warm water after some time. This is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Ringworm.
- The itching caused by Ringworm can be reduced by applying coconut oil on the itchy area.
- Drinking a combination of 300 ml carrot juice and 200 ml spinach juice naturally heals this disease.
- Crush some butea seeds and add a little bit of lime juice in it. Apply this past on the affected area to get rid of Ringworm. The white juice extracted from fig leaves is a popular home remedy for this disease.
- Apply a paste prepared from sea salt and vinegar to reduce this problem. Apple cider vinegar also serves as a good option for curing this disease effectively.
Diet for Ringworm
Fruits like pomegranate, apple, pineapple, orange and other citrus fruits promote the healing process of the skin. Vegetable soups with vegetables like spinach, carrot, radish etc are also useful while dealing with fungal infections. Drinking plenty of water is considered good for the skin. Sunbathing for some time in the morning is also beneficial in this regard.
Apart from this, try to stay away from fried and fatty processed and packaged foods with condiments and additives. Needless to add, caffeinated beverages like tea and coffee are best avoided if speedy recovery is desired. Plus, maintaining proper hygiene is an essential prerequisite for curing as well as avoiding the incidence of this irritating disease in future.